Know about complex heart diseases by Dr.Suresh Rao
1. What is Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA)?
Ans – There is a connection between the Aorta and the Pulmonary Artery which is normally present in a new-born child or before birth, but after birth PDA closes off because it’s no more needed. in some children, it continues to shunt. it’s called left to right shunt. it overflows the lungs. if it’s a large PDA the child become symptomatic immediately after the birth. We have all the medication which help it to close, sometimes it doesn’t close in such time then they may require surgery.
2. What kind of symptoms?
Ans – The basic symptoms of heart issue are: They may require ventilation, a child may not gain weight, they get record Respiratory infection.
3. When surgery required?
Ans – A large size PDA in a small baby usually requires surgery. but if the PDA is not very large in an elder child then the treatment can be done without doing surgery by using devices. The proportion of PDA surgery is now minimal.
4. What is Coarctation?
Ans – The main artery Aorta becomes narrow in size it can be with various severity. if it’s just one small area of narrow the cardiologist can just balloon open out and that can be the treatment. If there is a long segment of narrowing that may require surgery depending at the time of presentation while birth or little latter.
5. What are Acyanotic heart disease?
Ans – There are two types of disease.
- Cyanotic heart disease – in this condition Child turns blue.
- Acyanotic heart disease – in this condition child don’t turn blue. ASD, VSD, PDA all are an acyanotic disease type.
Related Post – ASD- What are the types, treatment and Best Doctors?
6- What is Cyanotic heart disease?
Ans – In Cyanotic heart disease, a child become blue after birth. usually, a blue child indicates heart disease.
- If a child is blue at birth means it has an extremely complex heart problem.
- If a child is ok at birth and gradually becomes blue in a week to ten days’ time it has a complicated problem.
- If a child developed blueness much later in life it usually indicates a less complicated heart problem.
- The simplest blue child has a Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) that can be corrected very well in this problem you have a large hole in a heart, it is an obstruction of blood flow to the lungs, there is a mixture of blue and red across the hole.
Get free video consultation from surgeons
7. What are the symptoms of Cyanotic heart disease?
Ans – You can notice a symptom when Child is active, the child starts to cry, or start to play or become more active. the mother notices some blueness near the lips or tongue.
Sometimes the child goes to the doctor for some other examination and the doctor hears the murmur.
8. Will you advise a Sonography while the child is in the womb?
Ans – A fetal ECHO is an important ECHO to be done, in the course of antenatal screening. particularly if the mother has had a heart issue.it becomes mandatory.
9. Does Fetal ECHO easily available everywhere?
Ans – Yes, but the interpretation requires training.
10. Do you know any doctor in Africa who do this training?
Ans – Nairobi does have fetal ECHO expertise.
11. When does a child with TGS require treatment?
Ans- Transposition of the great arteries TGA child requires treatment immediately after birth.
Related Post – What is ASD repair procedure and its symptoms
12. If a child has a breathing problem can they fly?
Ans – If a child has a hole in a heart there no contradiction to fly. Unless they are on a ventilator and on oxygen. But if the child is extremely blue then it is little more complicated, still, they can fly but they required to accompany doctor or oxygen support. every step they required medical help alerted.
13. Why don’t Indian doctor performs surgery at Africa?
Ans – we can certainly operate, but for more complex leisure we required a few things like the infrastructure, skill sets and the team. flying to Africa with team and equipment could be complex and expensive. Here in India, the setup is ready and the results are predictable. Parents are advised to come here for the complex issue.